Sunday, August 1, 2010

It Is Time To Get Serious

Today is August 1, 2010. And it's time for me to get busy writing. Writing on a regular basis. Writing every day. It's really and truly time to get serious about writing. I'm finished moving in with Mike - the boxes are unpacked. Charly is settled into our life. I am finally finished with graduate school. I have my new laptop setup. Work is work, and it's not going anywhere.

More so than any other time in my life, my life is pretty settled. Therefore, I have no excuses for not writing. I have no more distractions, other than new ones that I could invent for myself. But I'm done with excuses and distractions. It's time to get serious about writing. Here's a list of reasons why it is time to get serious about writing.

1. Because I had a work friend die this year. He died suddenly and he died too early. He left two daughters and I'm still surprised every day when I remember he is not still alive.

2. Because I've had 3 friends this year struggle with cancer. All have had surgery or chemo or radiation or all of the above. Their journeys have been difficult and challenging, and their future is still unknown.

3. Because there are hundreds of troops overseas, separated for long periods of time from their families. They are living their lives aligned with their values and beliefs, even though it is lonely and hard and risky.

4. Because there are a lot of BAD movies and books and television shows out there, and I can do better than that.

5. Because I do not want to be a "lifer" at work, counting down the days until I'm eligible for retirement. To give into that mindset and that lifestyle would mean giving up on hope, giving up on passion, giving up on life, and giving into complacency.

6. Because when Charly has his face hanging out the car window, eyes and ears being blown back by the wind, and he is as happy as anyone I have ever seen, and I want to be that happy. So happy that my entire body is smiling.

7. Because whenever I see performers on stage, I know that I am supposed to be doing that too.

8. Because I'm ready to be free of the soul-draining corporate work life experience. I want to design my own work experience, where and when and with whom I work. I want to be passionate and inspired and authentic, on a regular basis.

9. Because all of my life, all the years of buying books - buying lots of books, reading lots of books, copying song lyrics and memorizing poems, listening to people and airport conversations, jotting random notes, journaling, observing friends and coworkers and strangers, and carrying a notebook on airplanes all over the world - all of that has been leading up to this next phase in my life. This next phase is about intentional creativity, about putting it all together to write.

10. Because people like Seth Godin, David Whyte, Ben Zanders, Steven Pressfield, Steve Pavlina, Jonah Lehrer, and Frank Warren inspire me. They have invented their own unique, creative lives, and they have demonstrated the freedom that is possible. They have broken through the resistance.

11. Because if I don't create my own path, no one else is going to lead me there. Only I can lead myself where I need to go now. Up until this point, I have taken what was offered me. Up until this point I have followed the easy path and have tried to be satisfied. But I know that I need to stay aligned with my true talents and strengths and no one else is going to do that but me.

12. Because I had a colleague resign unexpectedly this month. We have had very similar career paths, similar goals and frustrations. She quit with 2 weeks notice to work for herself and I was struck by incredible envy. I want the freedom that she is creating.

13. Because many of my friends are struggling with our own professional disappointments, and frustrations. There are many of us longing for a more fulfilling path. But if we don't create it for ourselves, no one is going to hand it to us. In order for us to create a supportive community, we each need to set an inspired example of what is possible. I can't recommend that they become more purposeful, unless I practice what I preach.

14. Because once upon a time, I was in a dojo in California, sweaty and tired and surrounded by strong strong leaders, and I was told by an invisible voice that my job is to tell stories that give people hope. So that is what I intend to do.

Here we go.


1 comment:

  1. Rock and Roll Niki.

    Don't discount what you have done at work as anything but very original. You created or helped create very unique programs that have positively impacted a lot of people's lives.

    We'll need a few hours for lunch to talk all about stuff.

    ReplyDelete